Friday 23 September 2011

Painting holiday in Iceland

    Next June I shall be taking a group of painters to Iceland to paint and sketch the amazing landscapes there, ranging from the most spectacular waterfalls that take your breath away, to violently-coloured mountainscapes that will challenge your palette, sublime ice and glacier scenery, the blackest of lava and so much more. Truly "Lord of the Rings" stuff that promises to be a visual feast.


    When I was last exploring Iceland I camped much of the time, and of course, always take every opportunity to sketch people as well as the landscape and wildlife. At one site this lady Viking passed our tent carrying an armful of lager cans, so I couldn't resist a quick rendering in my sketchbook. My companions sometimes get rather concerned when I do this, as they know full well that the result is not always complimentary, but not many people realise they are being studied in this way.

    Next year we will not be camping, as it's quite a luxurious trip as far as accommodation is concerned, and I can't guarantee we'll bump into any lady Vikings, but I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting characters around. Many Icelandic artists themselves include odd characters in their landscape paintings, some quite mythical. If you are interested in the painting holiday do get in touch with Liz Drake at http://www.spencerscott.co.uk  telephone 01825 714310  or  info@spencerscott.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment